Saturday 18 April 2009

An Achievement

A person I knew back when I was still in high school had on his facebook status "officially an American citizen.. Proud to be American!!".. 12 people gave him the thumbs up while another 16 congratulated him on this "achievement"..

Which got me thinking about how many Arabs wish they had a citizenship of a different country, and the reasons for that.. very soon after that I was checking citizenship requirements for the UK.. just checking..

To be honest I will be the last one who will think of doing that.. :)

3 comments:

Maysaloon said...

Poor man...I know plenty like that, including family...

MJ said...

yea, it's just amazing what people think a document can do to them.. the opportunity to become more than what a person is without trying much harder than those who are struggling to get a better deal...speaking in the context of the middle east specifically the gulf region where an Arab with a british or american citizenship will get a better deal in his job, (a better salary, position, etc) compared to someone with no western citizenship but has more experience or qualifications than that person with a western citizenship who ends up becoming their boss solely because they have a western passport.

Look at the case of Yvonne Ridley when she used to work at AlJazeera.

Maysaloon said...

Yeah good points! Hey I'm actually all for getting whatever papers you need to make your life easier at the checkpoints - sorry I meant airports, of the world. What I have a problem with is these fools who buy into the hype and actually think this paper means anything more than it actually is!